Success depends on being capable of anticipating client needs. The ability to probe and anticipate opportunity is a critical skill to develop. Here are a few tips to practice for those who are insight challenged…
1. Step back from the task at hand and reflect on what issues the client might encounter once this project is complete. What is the next logical step or phase?
2. Listen to the chatter and concerns the clients employees are talking about. How can you help?
3. When the client makes a statement or shares a problem, ask yourself, “what are they asking of me?”
4. Schedule time regularly to think about the client needs and how you can position your firm’s expertise.
5. Do not assume the client will connect their issues to your firm’s capabilities. That connection is yours to make.
6. People do not like to admit a problem until they know you have a solution. Build a reputation for having solutions and resources.